Since 2013, through the generosity of a private foundation, Anglican Aid has overseen the construction of a girls’ secondary school at Bunda in the Mara region of Tanzania.
In Tanzania the selection of pupils from primary schools to enter secondary education is very competitive. Girls’ performance is lower than that of boys due to the extra household duties girls are expected to complete. They are denied the time to concentrate on their studies. Bunda Girls Secondary School was established to ensure girls with academic ability are able to receive a quality education. While the school only takes girls to fourth form (equivalent to Year 10 in Australia), graduation from Bunda to high school is the next pathway to university education.
Anglican Aid has contributed $603,000 towards capital costs to assist able students coming from impoverished backgrounds. An education fund has been established to assist those students with fees.
Anglican Aid is appealing for donors to consider supporting the education of these bright, underprivileged girls. First year students require $1,200 followed by $1,000 for the following three years. There are two main ways that you can support Bunda Girls School:
- Sponsor a student. One of the greatest ways you can help Bunda Girls School is by committing to financially supporting a girl throughout her education journey. You will receive details of the student you are supporting and updates on her education journey! To find out more about how you can support a student from Bunda Girl's School please email email@example.com.
- Support the emergency fund. Due to the unreliable nature of business and the economy in Tanzania, families who originally were able to pay their daughter's school fees sometimes are unable to pay her fees. Sadly, too often girls in this situation have to pull out of school until their families find the funds. To help prevent girls from dropping out of school due to financial hardship, please consider making a one-off or ongoing donation to our education fund! You can donate either online (using the donation buttons on this page) or by following the donation information below.
Direct Deposit donations can be made to our bank account BSB 032078, Account Number 253493, Account Name: Anglican Aid. Please place your name and the name of the project you would like to donate to in the reference line. Please email the office with details of your donation at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cheques can be posted to – PO Box Q190, QVB Post Office, 1230, NSW.
All donations to this project are tax deductible.
ABN 28 525 237 517
- Pray that a generation of girls might be empowered through education for leadership and discipleship.
- Give thanks for the continued building work. As at October 2016 Dormitory 4 is being finished. Good progress is being made on staff accommodation and the dining hall has been delayed due to lack of water. The outside toilets have commenced with the septic tanks being dug.
- Pray for water to be supplied as the lack of water id delaying some building work. Pray that that the dormitory is completed ready for 2017.
- Pray for all staff to model Christlike behaviour to all girls.