The Community Chaplain project (partly funded by Anglican Aid since 2012) at BTCG (Break the Cycle Glenquarie Inc.) offers support and pastoral care, to ex-offenders and others often from a low-socioeconomic background / disadvantaged community to assist them ‘break the cycle’ of poor choices.
BTCG, located in South West Sydney on the grounds of Glenquarie Anglican church (Macquarie Fields, NSW) serves one of the largest public housing estates in NSW. This project sits within the church's aims to assist those living in the community to provide people with resources to empower them to help themselves and restore a sense of self worth and dignity.
BTCG is a not-for-profit organisation with a large number of services for their clients including Community Chaplaincy (focussing on anti-recidivism and domestic violence prevention), lifeskills courses, Emergency Relief, a Community Pantry, a Community Garden group, Men’s shed, Counselling, No Interest Loans, Free Legal assistance and a Community Café. BTCG chair the local interagency group and are well integrated with local governmental services.
The Community Chaplain hosts ‘Sorted!’ a life skills course for men, subjects include: understanding your emotions, self-compassion, anger management, healthy communication skills, healthy relationships, abusive relationships, shame & guilt, addictions, fatherhood, and values. Sorted! runs weekly in 2 locations: Glenquarie & St Luke’s Liverpool.
The Chaplain also runs a ‘bridge’ church service called WaYout Fellowship Church providing a ‘softer entry’ into church. Introducing people to Jesus. WaYout runs monthly in 2 locations: Glenquarie & St Luke’s Liverpool.
Please consider giving generously to this Community Chaplaincy project, much fruit is being produced, as lives are seen to genuinely change, families being restored, men stepping up and becoming better fathers, leaving their old ways behind them. Some are now attending their local church with their families. Others are employed and no longer dependent on Government assistance.
Direct Deposit donations can be made to our bank account BSB 032078, Account Number 253493, Account Name: Anglican Aid. Please email the office with details of your donation at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cheques can be posted to – PO Box Q190, QVB Post Office, 1230, NSW.
All donations are tax deductible.
ABN 28 585 237 517
- Give thanks for the model of engagement with the local community developed at Glenquarrie and the lessons other parishes can learn from their experience in community development.
- Give thanks for the Men’s Shed, the food pantry and the other associated ministries developed by Break the Cycle.
- Pray for the David Ould and the leadership as they consider ways to maintain this project with additional resources from within the community.
- Praise God for his faithful resourcing of Community Chaplaincy
- Please pray for Stuart Woods – the Community Chaplain at BTCG for wisdom, insight and understanding in all his dealings with the men and women he comes in contact with.
- Please pray for Jacquie Kinsey – who for over 2 years has hosted Empower Life skills course for BTCG – for resourcing to see this essential ministry to women continue.
- Praise God for the ever growing network of relationships between the Community Chaplain and NSW Parole, NSW Drug Court, NSW Legal Aid, Anglicare and other NGOs.