Current prayer points for persecuted Christians
Current prayer points for persecuted Christians
Sudan: Praying for Christians in the Nuba Mountains
- Pray for peace in Sudan, and for freedom of religion, especially for the people of the Nuba Mountains who have suffered through years of war.
- Give thanks for the donors, friends and partners of Kadugli Diocese as they support the Diocese and the people of the Nuba Mountains.
- Pray for the building projects in the Diocese of Kadugli including Grace Secondary School and Korkel Theological Institute. This is the first diocesan development to take place since the war broke out in 2011.
- Praise God and pray for the many people from different religious backgrounds who are accepting Jesus Christ as their Saviour.
- Pray for Bishop Andudu Adam Elnail and the Diocesan staff as they lead the rapidly growing church in the Nuba Mountains through this difficult time.
Churches are growing in the Nuba Mountains
Nigeria: Diocese of Jos
Anglican Aid, in partnership with the Diocese of Jos, Nigeria, is working to provide urgent support and relief to many Christians facing persecution in Nigeria.
- In June, 2022, armed men entered a Roman Catholic church in Owo, detonating explosives and opening fire during a Sunday service, killing 40 people. Many more were injured. Pray for those who are grieving for loved ones or recovering from injuries. Pray for an end to this kind of violence.
- Pray for God to raise church leaders who will have the courage to speak truth to all, including those in power in Nigeria.
- Praise God for the generosity of donors who have funded aid for people who have been displaced following attacks in northern Nigeria by Fulani Islamists. Pray that displaced people will be able to reestablish their homes and livelihoods.
- Pray for church leaders and pastors for God’s wisdom and direction as they lead their churches in trying times. Some believers are turning to traditional idol worship to seek power to stand against Boko Haram and Fulani militants.
- Pray for God’s people in Nigeria to hold fast to the truth of the gospel and keep trusting God as they suffer persecution.
Brazil: Aid for Afghan refugees
Anglican Aid is partnering with the Diocese of Vitoria to help Afghan Christian families resettle in Brazil.
- Pray for safety for our brothers and sisters in Afghanistan.
- Give thanks for the many people being helped by the resettlement program for Afghan refugees in Brazil. There are 187 refugees who are being looked after by churches in the Diocese of Vitoria. Give thanks for these churches. Pray for them caring for these people over the next year and integrating them into a new life in Brazil.
- Give thanks that some of the Afghan refugees have started courses to help them find employment including catering, washing machine repair and cutting hair. Pray they will find jobs.
- Pray for Afghan refugees who are waiting for their documents from Brazilian embassies in Iran and Pakistan. Pray for God’s provision and that the process will be expedited. There are thousands waiting to go to Brazil.
- Pray for local churches in Brazil to be open and receptive to our persecuted brothers and sisters in the Lord.
Ethiopia: Heading North
Anglican Aid is supporting Heading North as it works with communities in income generation, peace and reconciliation training, water access and education projects.
- Give thanks that the tribal war has eased in the Amhara region, the harvest has been gathered and food is making its way into the area.
- In the last year in the Amhara region, many churches have been burned down in the context of tribal war and opportunistic persecution. All 12 churches in the Eastern Amhara Fellowship have been destroyed and/or looted. Only two churches in a 450km stretch have been undamaged. Pray that discouraged believers in these poor rural churches will hold fast to their faith in Jesus. Pray for God’s provision as they seek to rebuild churches to provide a public witness in their communities.
- Praise God that believers in the area are often known as people who care for and love the most vulnerable, sometimes giving all they have to love others.
A prayer for persecuted Christians
Eternal Father, almighty shepherd of your people,
You have promised that those who follow Jesus will be persecuted. We pray for your children around the world who are suffering mistreatment, imprisonment, loss of possessions, and threats of death for their allegiance to you. By your mighty power keep them faithful to you. Be their shield and defence, their refuge and their stronghold.
Shelter them under the shadow of your wings, that they may not fear their enemies, and help us to uphold them in prayer, that together we may walk in the light of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and not be ashamed to confess him as Lord, to the glory of your name, Amen.