Latest prayer points
Latest prayer points
Kenya: Pray for the drought in Marsabit
CMS missionary Norm Gorrie works in Marsabit, northern Kenya and is urging Christians to pray: “We first came to Marsabit in 1989 and in all those years since, we have never experienced a situation as dire as it is at the moment,” he said recently. “The situation is desperate.”
- Pray for peace in Marsabit. After about three months of peace, in October a number of police officers and civilians were shot.
- Many people in the north of Kenya and south of Ethiopia are experiencing hunger after four years of drought. Pray that food aid will get to those who need it. Pray too that the drought will ease and ongoing food supplies will be restored.
Brazil: Aid for Afghan refugees
- Pray for safety for our brothers and sisters in Afghanistan.
- Give thanks for the many people being helped by the resettlement program for Afghan refugees in Brazil. There are 187 refugees who are being looked after by churches in the Diocese of Vitoria. Give thanks for these churches. Pray for them caring for these people over the next year and integrating them into a new life in Brazil.
- Give thanks that some of the Afghan refugees have started courses to help them find employment including catering, washing machine repair and cutting hair. Pray they will find jobs.
- Pray for Afghan refugees who are waiting for their documents from Brazilian embassies in Iran and Pakistan. Pray for God’s provision and that the process will be expedited. There are thousands waiting to go to Brazil.
- Pray for local churches in Brazil to be open and receptive to our persecuted brothers and sisters in the Lord.
Nigeria: Diocese of Jos
- In June, armed men entered a Roman Catholic church in Owo, detonating explosives and opening fire during a Sunday service, killing 40 people. Many more were injured. Pray for those who are grieving for loved ones or recovering from injuries. Pray for an end to this kind of violence.
- Pray for God to raise church leaders who will have the courage to speak truth to all, including those in power in Nigeria.
- Praise God for the generosity of donors who have funded aid for people who have been displaced following attacks in northern Nigeria by Fulani Islamists. Pray that displaced people will be able to reestablish their homes and livelihoods.
- Pray for church leaders and pastors for God’s wisdom and direction as they lead their churches in trying times. Some believers are turning to traditional idol worship to seek power to stand against Boko Haram and Fulani militants.
- Pray for God’s people in Nigeria to hold fast to the truth of the gospel and keep trusting God as they suffer persecution.
Ethiopia: Heading North
- Give thanks that the tribal war has eased in the Amhara region, the harvest has been gathered and food is making its way into the area.
- Pray for Heading North working with communities in income generation, peace and reconciliation training, water access and education projects.
- In the last year in the Amhara region, many churches have been burned down in the context of tribal war and opportunistic persecution. All 12 churches in the Eastern Amhara Fellowship have been destroyed and/or looted. Only two churches in a 450km stretch have been undamaged. Pray that discouraged believers in these poor rural churches will hold fast to their faith in Jesus. Pray for God’s provision as they seek to rebuild churches to provide a public witness in their communities.
- Praise God that believers in the area are often known as people who care for and love the most vulnerable, sometimes giving all they have to love others.
Anglican Aid prayer
Whose will it is that all people will be saved, and come to a knowledge of the truth, and whose will it is that we care for the poor, needy, widows, orphans and refugees.
We pray for the work of the Archbishop of Sydney’s Anglican Aid.
We pray for your grace to fulfil every good work that you have prepared for us in advance to do as we anticipate the triumphant return of our King and Saviour, in whose name we pray.
Get prayer and project updates in your inbox.